This day has been created to help us declutter our homes. However, many of us steer clear of organizing our spaces because it seems so overwhelming and time consuming. We are nervous about the tasks of taking stock and going through our belongings so we avoid it. The avoidance behavior doesn’t lead to peace of mind since the clutter still exists. In fact, we often become more anxious when we don’t take care of what needs to be done. There is no such thing as “out of sight, out of mind,” not in reality
Can we take steps today to manage our space and approach, rather than avoid? Remember that Rome was not built in a day, so take your time and try to have fun with the process.
Try these steps to get started…
- Think small and in parts
- Decide on which space in your house you want to start with first
- What is your goal? Is it decluttering, making it more spacious, aesthetically beautiful and/or clean?
- Ask yourself are the things/items being used, needed, and how do they make you feel
- Put together a written outline or lay out a digital plan of what you want
- Think about what you can donate (donating things often make us feel good, just knowing that others will benefit)